Traditional Kustom Hot Rod and Vintage Culture and design
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment : -26%
369€ PC Portable HP 15-fd0064nf – ...
Voir le deal
369.99 €

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce - Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Empty 1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce - Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 7:41

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Devila10

Devil’s Lettuce” is the name of Brett Cowan’s 1949 Chevrolet built by Marcos Garcia and his crew at Lucky 7 Customs

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Sacram20

Dernière édition par Predicta le Ven 1 Mai - 7:08, édité 1 fois

Admin

http://kustomkingdom.blogspot.fr/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Empty Re: 1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce - Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 7:42

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs 89282810

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs 89282910

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs 89282911

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs 89288910

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs 22650810

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs 99589410

Admin

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Empty Re: 1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce - Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 8:18

I feel like it was just yesterday that I stood face to face with Brett Cowan’s Chevy; speechless and dumbstruck. As the green pearl paint soaked up the warm California sunlight of the Santa Maria Cruisin’ Nationals, I knew I had found exactly what I came for.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_45

I circled it, amazed, and thought it might have been the most perfect kustom I’d ever laid eyes on.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_46

Here’s the thing about kustoms: they can be mild to wild, chopped, slammed, shaved and multi-colored – or not – and still be cool. It doesn’t matter how far you take things, because the only thing that counts is the end result. Does it make you stare, or just keep walking?
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_47

While Brett’s Chevy does have a lot of modifications made to it, it’s all in a toned down, simple kind of way. It just might be the ultimate case-study on wrapping up a whole lot of mods into a package that’s inexplicably simple and timeless.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_48

People have been customizing ’49-’52 Chevys since they were new, but I would still argue that it’s not exactly the token lead sled. I think most would agree the list starts with a Merc, then the Shoebox Ford and finally, probably, this era of Chevy. That’s why I like them though. Instead of a bloated bar of soap, you get the sportier silhouette you see here.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_49

Of course, it didn’t come from the General looking this slippery. No, that’s the work of Lucky 7 Customs in Antioch, California. As much as I love a homebuilt hot rod, some guys know when to bring in a professional, and you have to respect that.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_50

After years of driving incomplete projects, Brett decided to pull out all the stops with this one. Knowing exactly what he wanted, Brett worked with Marcos Garcia and crew to make the dream a reality.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_51

The story isn’t as simple as dropping the car off at a shop though – it’s a tale of indecision, faraway travels and perseverance…

Admin

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 8:19

Originally from California, Brett decided to move to Hawaii on a whim back in 2001. At first he was living the dream; working as a dealership mechanic and surfing every day, but being a hardcore car enthusiast he missed his ’64 Galaxie that sat back in Sacramento too. It was his first car, and when he was really jonesing to drive it, he would fly back to the mainland to visit family, friends, and the six-four.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_52

The plan wasn’t sustainable though, and after five years living on the island without an old car to work on or drive, Brett started looking to buy something cool. With no luck shopping locally, he bought the ’49 you see here out of Iowa and shipped it back to the 50th state.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_53

After dealing with all the red tape involved in registering an old car in Hawaii, Brett realized that simply owning an old car on the island was not going to give him his fix. For one thing, he only had a small carport and couldn’t get much work done on it. He also missed California and the car culture he had grown up with there, so before long Brett and his Chevy were on their way back home.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_54

Settled back in California, the ’49 sat in the garage next to his Galaxie. Brett didn’t do much with it, and eventually decided to sell it. A potential buyer made the mistake of rolling up in his own chopped Chevy though, inadvertently rekindling Brett’s desire to build the car. The ‘For Sale’ sign was taken out of the window on the spot. “Sorry homie, the car’s not for sale!”
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_55

So Brett decided to keep the ’49, but it still needed to get built into the kustom he had in his head. One day on the long drive home from Pomona’s Grand National Roadster Show, Brett and his friend did a little soul searching. They talked about all the project cars they’d had over the years, and faced the reality that none of them ever got finished. Brett decided that if he was keeping the Chevy, he needed to take the build seriously and just get it done. That’s when he called his buddy Marcos at Lucky 7 to get things moving.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_56

The most important part of a full kustom build like this is the chop, and that’s first thing Marcos and Brett agreed on. Vince Byrne of Lucky 7 took 3.5 inches from the front and 3.0 inches from the rear to give a slightly sloped look, but while Brett insisted on angled B pillars, Marcos’ professional eye dictated that they would be straight.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_57

Also notice the rounded door corners and shaved handles, but the rain gutters and gas door are left alone. I personally prefer this style of chop, where the classic three-box design is retained rather than flowing the roof and trunk into one shape.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_58

It’s not over-chopped by any means, which contributes to the simplified look even while there are a ton of mods left to look at. Another touch Brett knew he wanted to integrate was the ’54 Desoto grille, with the outer two ‘teeth’ removed and round marker lights fitted in their place.

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_59

Admin

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 8:20

It wasn’t just about shoving a Desoto grille where it didn’t belong. The hood had to be extended, a new grille opening hand-formed and the lower apron molded too. Look at the ever-so-subtle body line that runs across the bottom edge of the hood.

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_60

The taillights were undecided, so Brett trusted Lucky 7 to come up with something. Fortunately Marcos had an idea, and ’51 Mercury lenses were blended in with custom bezels. The bumper was fitted nice and tight to the body, then the new custom body line below the Merc tails was wrapped around the bumper ends. These are the little touches that make a kustom flow without jumping out at you.

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_61

Stock headlights were used, but frenched into a flush position on the fender. Most kustoms take it further, tunneling the lights for a more radical look, but Brett’s Chevy isn’t about that look at all.

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_62

The interior is pretty much stock, but beautifully restored and colored to match. Is that an air gauge I spy under the dash? I never said this thing was bagged.

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_63

The air gauge is actually for a pair of rear air shocks to level the car as needed. Look again and I’m sure you’ll appreciate that the Chevy actually has a very respectable ride height – low enough to tuck, but high enough to scoot around town.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_64

Speaking of instrumentation, Brett went ahead and added a trio of Stewart Warner gauges below the dash, but instead of using a flimsy sheetmetal bracket, he matched things up with a finned and color-filled panel.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_65

Admin

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 8:21

Besides bringing the pearl green paint inside, the seats were trimmed in a contrasting Naugahyde and the floors were covered in an even darker green Mercedes carpet.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_66

Of course the trunk was finished to match.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_67

Those tiny exhaust tips are saying something too. This is not a tire-burner, nor does it claim to be. It’s all about rolling in style, and the small exhaust reinforces that. When I picture Brett’s Chevy taking off from a stoplight, it looks something like a boat plowing through water in a lake as it gets up to speed.

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_68

The 250ci straight six doesn’t need anything more than 1.5-inch exhaust pipes, although it has been warmed over and detailed with parts like the classic Offy valve cover. It would have been too obvious to drop in a crate 350. The six just feels so much more restrained and classic, just like the rest of the car.
1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_69

I want to end the story with a few wise words from Brett, because it’s something I think we could all use from time to time. ”This car almost never happened because I forgot why I bought it in the first place. So whenever I start to lose interest in one of my cars, I just go out and sit in it or take it for a drive… That’s when you realize why you originally got it.”
Now get out there and finish your projects!

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_70
Keith Charvonia
Instagram: SpeedhuntersKeith
keith@speedhunters.com
Photos by Larry Chen
Instagram: larry_chen_foto
larry@speedhunters.com

Brett Cowan’s 1949 Chevrolet Coupe by Lucky 7 Customs

Engine
1968 Chevy straight six cylinder, 250ci, machine work by Loyd Engineering, balanced/blueprinted, 9.4:1 compression, Comp cam, Holley 4150 carburetor, Offenhauser intake manifold and valve covers, Pertronix ignition, Langdon Stovebolt headers, 1.5-inch exhaust with glasspacks

Driveline
700R4 from Delta Transmission, Driveline Services driveshaft, automatic shifter modified to look like original ‘three on the tree’

Chassis
Original chassis, C-notched in rear, custom engine and transmission mounts, custom steering rack mount, manual rack & pinion steering

Suspension/Brakes
Front: Fatman 2-inch drop spindles, shortened coil springs, Monroe gas shocks, disc brakes, Engineered Components master cylinder and booster, Wilwood proportioning valve, Rear: 1986 El Camino rear axle, de-arched leaf springs, 4-inch lowering blocks, adjustable air shocks, drum brakes

Wheels/Tires
Stock wheels, Cadillac ‘Sombrero’ hubcaps, US Royal bias ply tires 670-15

Exterior
Chopped top, handmade grille opening, Desoto grille, frenched headlights, nosed and decked, molded front and rear pans, molded rear fenders, shaved door handles, ’51 Mercury taillights, shortened and frenched rear bumper, chrome by Walker Custom Chrome, PPG Devil’s Lettuce paint, custom blended by Marcos Garcia

Interior
Stock restored interior, Stewart Warner gauges, polished stainless steering column, green naugahyde upholstery, Mercedes dark green carpet, upholstery by Bob Devine

weblin: http://www.speedhunters.com/2014/06/devils-lettuce-49-chevy/#chapter-glowing-green

Admin

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 8:22

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_71

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_72

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_73

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_74

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_75

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_76

Admin

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 8:22

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_77

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_78

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_79

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_80

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_81

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_82

Admin

Message  Predicta Sam 28 Mar - 8:23

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_83

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_84

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_85

1949 Chevrolet - Devil’s Lettuce -  Brett Cowan - Lucky 7 Customs Larry_86

Admin

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé