Traditional Kustom Hot Rod and Vintage Culture
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
-17%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Casque de réalité virtuelle Meta Quest 2 128 Go Blanc (+29,99€ ...
249.99 € 299.99 €
Voir le deal

1936 Ford - Dale French

1936 Ford - Dale French Empty 1936 Ford - Dale French

Message  Predicta Mer 12 Juin - 21:04

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f10
https://www.whichcar.com.au/features/tail-dragging-36-ford-coupe
This article was originally published in the Street Machine Hot Rod No.19 magazine

TAIL-draggers are the sleek, stylish midway point between stripped-down, speed-freak hot rods and the big 50s land yachts many think of when using the term ‘custom car’. Inspired by art deco, they represent a more civil on-road presence, which is exactly what Melbourne’s Dale French was after when he built this ’36 Ford coupe.

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f11
“I found the car in Boise, Idaho, on an internet forum in May 2016,” he says. After getting the car in his shed, Dale got cracking: “I knew what I wanted to do so I didn’t muck around – I got it on the hoist and it sat there for a year.”

Dale saved heartache by starting with a car already in excellent shape, meaning he didn’t have to budget for a whole car respray.

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f12
“It was in 100 per cent stock-standard original condition as it had been restored,” he says. “It had mechanical brakes, as well as the factory flathead V8, three-speed and banjo diff.”

There was no rust, though Andy Scicluna from Area 51 in Woodend, Victoria – who was handling the metalwork – did find a bit of filler in the guards. Then Troy Palmer from Ballarat took over, painting it and fixing up the area where the spare wheel bolts onto the rear.

Admin

http://kustomkingdom.blogspot.fr/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

1936 Ford - Dale French Empty Re: 1936 Ford - Dale French

Message  Predicta Mer 12 Juin - 21:05

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f15
Much more time was spent under the stock cream body to get the stance on-point, as Dale was never going to be happy with the original cable-stoppers or mile-high ride height. He fitted a dropped axle and lowered spring in the front, as well as a hydraulic disc brake conversion. “It’s a modern disc rotor that uses a Commodore caliper and is fitted using brackets from Rod-Tech,” he explains. “It’s a typical hot rod set-up as it also uses a Gemini booster and an XA Falcon master cylinder mounted under the floor, with the stock drums that came on the eight-inch diff out the back. It has the original handbrake, too.”

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f13
Out back Dale had more work to do, choosing to notch the chassis five inches before designing and building a custom four-link rear-end. He fitted AccuAir air suspension, complete with e-Level height-management system, from Air Ride Suspension Supplies in Melbourne.

“I like that tail-dragger look with the nose up and rear end down,” says Dale, “and I cruise it tail-down.”

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f14
Dale chose to leave the stock 221ci flathead in play, but upgraded to a late-model Tremec T5 five-speed manual from a Chevy S-10 pick-up, which he fitted using a Macs conversion kit from Sutton’s Classic Cars & Restorations. “The centre crossmember came as a ‘bolt-in’ kit but that turned out to be more work than I first thought to make it fit.”

There were a couple of other minor upgrades to the running gear to ensure the coupe cruised with perfect manners.

Admin

Message  Predicta Mer 12 Juin - 21:07

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f18
“Simplicity is the key to this car,” Dale says. “I wanted to make sure everything worked and was easy to use and drive. I totally rewired the car with a basic nine-circuit harness to convert it to 12-volt with an alternator, and that’s about it for engine mods.”

That said, if he tires of simplicity he’s got a ’39 flathead waiting in the wings, with twin carbs and alloy heads. “The twin-carb motor should wake it up a bit,” he laughs.

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f16
There’s also the option of further tinkering down the track. “I did plan on doing the trim, but I’m undecided on chopping the ’36,” he says. “I have a dickie seat for the rear, but I need to modify it before I can put it back in, as the chassis notch in the rear stops it from fitting. Really this coupe was built as a cruiser. I have a ’59 Chevy wagon, and the hot rod is for when I get a chance to head out on my own.”

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f17
One thing Dale’s adamant about is that all his cars are for driving – you won’t find him rocking up with a trailer. That’s why he reckons the simple builds are the most enjoyable.

As the man says: “You get to spend time actually driving them and not building or repairing them.”

Admin

Message  Predicta Mer 12 Juin - 21:08

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f19

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f20

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f21
DALE FRENCH
1936 FORD THREE-WINDOW COUPE
Paint: Stock cream

ENGINE
Brand: 1936 Ford flathead V8
Capacity: 221ci
Internals: Stock
Wiring: 12V conversion
Carburettor: Stock one-barrel

TRANSMISSION
Gearbox: Tremec T5
five-speed manual
Clutch: Stock T5
Diff: Ford 8in

SUSPENSION & BRAKES
Front: Dropped I-beam and lowered spring
Rear: AccuAir e-Level air suspension, custom four-link arms
Brakes: Discs with Commodore calipers, Rod-tech brackets (f) Ford 8in drums (r); Gemini booster, Falcon master cylinder

WHEELS & TYRES
Rims: Steel 15x6 (f & r)
Rubber: Firestone 5.60x15 (f & r)

THANKS
Thanks to everyone involved in the build

Admin

Message  Predicta Mer 12 Juin - 21:09

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f22

1936 Ford - Dale French 1936-f24