Traditional Kustom Hot Rod and Vintage Culture
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
-20%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
-20% sur le Lot de 2 écrans PC GIGABYTE 27″ LED M27Q
429 € 539 €
Voir le deal

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924

3 participants

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Empty Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:11

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc10
The story of the original car is fascinating. The 1924 Rolls Royce Phantom l with a convertible body by Hooper was commissioned by an American lady from Detroit. The car never got to the States however, and was subsequently purchased by the Raja of Nanpara, an Indian regional potentate under British rule. It’s at this point that the vehicle was sent to the Jonckheere brothers in Belgium for its new hand-crafted body. Some reports suggest it was intended as a present for Prince Edward, but all records from the factory were lost in the war and it is not even known who originally penned the fantastic Art Deco body shape.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc11
The car was fitted with a 6-cylinder, 7.66L OHV inline six engine and a 4-speed manual transmission. The body was completely hand fabricated to include round doors, split-opening half-moon windows, twin sunroofs, bespoke luggage and a stabilizing fin at the rear. All told, the luxurious automobile was quiet enough to hold a conversation at speed and would easily travel at 100 mph (161 km/h).
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc12
The vehicle changed hands many times in the 40s and 50s until it ended up with American Max Opie, who restored it and painted it with six pounds of gold dust and lacquer. After life as a traveling sideshow, it disappeared until 1991 when it was purchased by a Japanese gentleman for US$1.5 million. In 2004 it was purchased by the Petersen Museum and restored to its first incarnation of black gloss exterior and red leather interior. The vehicle is a popular attraction at Palm Beach and other classic car concours events, but in a cruel twist is unfortunately not eligible for the top prizes at these gatherings as the original records are lost.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc13

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc14

http://www.gizmag.com/rolls-royce-jonckheere-aerodynamic-coupe-ll/25479/

Dernière édition par Predicta le Jeu 1 Jan - 17:18, édité 1 fois

Admin

http://kustomkingdom.blogspot.fr/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Empty Re: Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:13

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc15

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc16

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc17

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc18

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc19

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc20

Admin

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Empty Re: Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:14

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc21

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc22

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc23

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc24

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rrjonc25

Admin

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:17

Admin

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:26

http://www.coachbuild.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=50&g2_itemId=37292

Jonckheere Rolls-Royce Phantom l Aerodynamic Coupe
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh27
This Phantom I was originally fitted with a convertible by Hooper, but in the early 1930s that body was scrapped and the rolling chassis sent to Jonckheere in Belgium for something a little more... let's say... exotic. It is not known who commissioned it and who penned the extravagant design, because a fire had destroyed all of the company's records.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh26
This is probably the most extravagant designs ever performed on a RR chassis. From the huge front fenders on to the oval doors and finishing off with a tall fin on the back, the Jonckheere Coupe is six meters of exuberance.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh25
After completion, it won the 1934 Prix de Cannes Concours d'Elegance. Not much later, it was sold to an American. During the 1950s it was painted gold and used in an automotive freak show together with a number of other striking 1930s designs, which people could look at after paying $1. Much later, in 1991, the golden Rolls was auctioned to a Japanese collector for $1.5 million. It disappeared in a private collection for many years.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh24
Eventually the Petersen Automotive Museum managed to buy the Jonckheere Phantom and they restored it to be entered in the 2005 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh23

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh22

Dernière édition par Predicta le Jeu 1 Jan - 17:46, édité 1 fois

Admin

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:31

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh21

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh20

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Jonckh19

Admin

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:52

There are few cars that are as dramatic as the Jonckheere Coupe. Its imposing length, menacing curves and oversize grill make most other pre-war cars look boring. And it certainly makes most other Rolls-Royces look staid by comparison. Furthermore, the benchmarks of size, stature, cost and risk will probably never be reached again. If we had to pick the most memorable Rolls-Royce, this would have to be it.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Peters10
Such a striking car would certainly have to have an eccentric owner and certainly be born in the Art Deco movement of the 1930s. The Jonckheere Coupe was very much a part of this movement with its stylish modernism and mathematical geometric shapes which were popular at the time. This is especially true of the car’s circular doors which give it a proper nickname: “The Round Door Rolls”.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 13562710
The origin’s of the Jonckheere Coupe stretch around the world, but start in Great Britain at the Rolls-Royce factory. As early as 1907, Rolls and Henry Royce were setting high standards of luxury, reliability and craftsmanship in their cars. This trend never died and the same company is still making cars true to the company’s origins.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 1925-r10
This design philosophy caught the attention of the Raja of Nanpara. His Great Nanpara Estate had already contained a polished aluminum 40/50HP Silver Ghost when he ordered Rolls-Royce’s latest Phantom. Upon arrival, the owner probably didn’t like the conventional Hooper cabriolet bodywork because it was eventually scrapped and replaced with what you see here.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 1925_r10
Almost 10 years old, this rolling chassis was then shipped to Belgium to the shop of Henri Jonckheere and his son Joseph Jonckheere. They were well known throughout Europe for making bodies on both cars and busses. The later of which is still in production today as VDL Jonckheere. The commissioning owner of the car is uncertain due to war damage at the factory, but the design is not. The Jonckheeres created an extravagant body which has just as much impact 75 years after its constuction as it did in 1935. The car was finished in time for the Concours on the French Riviera where it won the ‘Prix de Cannes’ award.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 1925_r11
The doors, which are actually oval, required two half-moon pieces of glass that closed towards each other within a complex winding mechanism. Other details included sliding left and right sun vents, a sloping fastback profile and an enormous rear tail fin. It was also one of the few Phantom Is which featured a modified front grill.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 1925_r12

Admin

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:55

Eventually the car made its way stateside and was saved by Max Obie before being scrapped. He restored the car in a brilliant hue of metallic gold and refurbished details like the silk headliner and seats that folded into beds. From here, the car was shown as a sideshow at fairs where anyone with a dollar well spent could have viewed the Coupe. After its freakshow days were numbered, the golden behemoth was stored away for long time.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 4256d610
In the 1980s, the car was resurrected and sold at auction. The description incorrectly listed it as “the 1954 World Motorsport winner in NY” and “Built for Prince of Wales”. With just 5000 miles on the odometer, it was picked up by a Japanese collector for $1,500,000 USD who retained the car for 20 years.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 37039610
Eventually the car made its back to America and in the hands of the California-based Peterson Museum. Arriving in pieces, they send the remains to Tired Iron Works in California to piece together the entire car. Details were discovered such as an extended chassis. The biggest challenge was to finish the body and its squared-off louvers.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 40766810
Peterson debuted the stunning Rolls at the 2005 Pebble Beach Concours where its questionable providence got in the way of its unquestionable elegance. If the Pebble Beach judges would have understood that nothing is born perfect, this car likely would have taken Best in Class or maybe even Best in Show. As a consolidation prize, it did win the Lucius Beebe Trophy for the finest Rolls-Royce and became a favorite of many at the show. It has since been seen at various other Concours events such as Meadowbrook and Ameila Island.
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 40771210
Read more at http://www.supercars.net/cars/4054.html#mODeQ8KKFMmWjsOp.99
Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 10355810

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 10356610

Admin

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 17:57

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 10360110

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 10360410

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 10361210

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 10361211

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 13166010

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 13166011

Admin

Message  Predicta Jeu 1 Jan - 18:01

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 13472410

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 79639410

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 79639610

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Japane10

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Pic1810

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Rolls-10

Admin

Message  Zed Jeu 1 Jan - 23:16

oh pinaise c'est beau ! :love:
Zed
Zed

Message  The Red Baron Ven 2 Jan - 12:15

C'est même très beau!
Mais malheureusement, comme les Delahaye Saoutchik ou autres joyeusetés du genre, c'est inroulable, à part à Peeble Beach ou à la Villa d'Este!
Déjà parce que le prix est stratosphérique, et il serait dommage qu'un fromage en scénic mazout vienne emboutir l'auto.
Et puis quand je pense aux ralentisseurs qui poussent partout comme des champignons après une pluie d'automne, je pense que le porte-à-faux ou les bas de caisse n'y résisteraient pas!
Mais passé ces considérations bassement matérielles, je pense effectivement que c'est une des plus belles autos du monde!
Comme la fameuse Delahaye Saoutchik, justement, ou la Mercedes 540K Trossi Roadster, propriété de Ralph Lauren que voici.
Le genre d'auto dans laquelle t'as quand même pas trop l'air d'un con!

Rolls Royce Phantom I Aerodynamic Coupe by Jonckheere - 1924 Merced10

Message  Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé